Saturday, April 19, 2008

April's Book of the Month



10 Good Choices that Empowers Black Women's Lives
By Grace Cornish




I read this book (the first time) the summer before my sophomore year in college. I was in my first “young adult” relationship, and it was going okay (who would have known he would dump me on my birthday 3 months later!!!!). Nevertheless I joined Black Expressions and picked the book, “10 Good Choices that Empowers Black Women’s Lives” by Grace Cornish.

So I was looking through my old books (trying to establish my own library) and came across this one. I think everything happens for a reason and truly feel like I came across this book (again) at the perfect time. This is a follow up book to her first one entitled, “10 Bad Choices That Ruin Black Women's Lives”. Since I am trying to NOT focus and write about negative things so much, I would rather focus on empowering one’s self. Here is where “10 Good Choices” comes in.

First and importantly, it is helping empower me in the areas I am working on currently which is feeling beautiful, going for what I want, stop feeling that anyone (Kanye West – that’s another post) or anything seemed out of reach. This is not one of those quick fix books, but rather guide to achieving life success. Right now I am in transition to becoming a better child of God and understanding how I can do that in this world I live in. This book helps tremendously.

Here are the 10 steps:



  1. Embracing the Skin You're In

  2. Accepting "Better Love," Not "Bitter Love"

  3. Making Money Work for You

  4. Turning Stumbling Blocks into Stepping Stones

  5. Avoiding "the Only Fly in the Buttermilk" Thinking

  6. Trusting Your Own Intuition

  7. Taking Calculated Chances, Not Idle Ones

  8. Giving Stress a Perpetual Rest

  9. Rewriting Your Life's Script

  10. Using Your "Praying Energy" for "Staying Energy"


No comments: